FILE- In this Oct. 19, 2011 file photo, world-renowned conductor Charles Dutoit, right, performs with the Philadelphia Orchestra during a rehearsal in Philadelphia. Four women have accused Dutoit of sexual misconduct that allegedly occurred on the sidelines of rehearsals or performances with some of America's great orchestras. The 81-year-old is the artistic director and principal conductor at London's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

The Latest: Dutoit withdraws from The Cleveland Orchestra

December 22, 2017 - 12:16 am

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Latest on sexual misconduct allegations against conductor Charles Dutoit (all times local):

9 p.m.

The Cleveland Orchestra is the latest organization to announce conductor Charles Dutoit's withdrawal from performances in response to sexual misconduct allegations reported by The Associated Press.

That brings to five the number of major symphonies where Dutoit either has withdrawn or been removed — all within less than a day of accusations from three singers and one musician.

Dutoit had been set to lead concerts in Cleveland on Feb. 22-24.

"While we are not aware of any specific complaints related to Mr. Dutoit during his previous engagements with The Cleveland Orchestra, we are completely committed to providing a professional and safe workplace devoid of all forms of inappropriate conduct," the orchestra said in a statement.

A replacement conductor will be announced at a later date.

___

5:10 p.m.

The San Francisco Symphony is the latest organization to sever ties with conductor Charles Dutoit in response to sexual misconduct allegations reported by The Associated Press.

The symphony said in a statement that the "serious nature" of the allegations as well as the symphony's "strong commitment to a zero tolerance policy" for sexual harassment in the workplace contributed to its decision.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra said earlier Thursday it is cutting ties with Dutoit, a guest conductor. It cited "extremely troubling" sexual misconduct allegations.

Dutoit was scheduled to conduct the San Francisco Symphony for two weeks of concerts in April.

___

4:50 p.m.

The New York Philharmonic says conductor Charles Dutoit has withdrawn from concerts scheduled for next month in the wake of "very serious" sexual misconduct allegations.

The Philharmonic said in a statement that Dutoit said Thursday he was withdrawing from conducting a series of concerts scheduled for Jan. 17-20.

The statement came after The Associated Press reported that three opera singers and one classical musician accused Dutoit of sexual assault and provided detailed accounts of alleged incidents between 1985 and 2010 in five U.S. cities.

Dutoit has not responded to multiple phone and email messages seeking comment.

He is artistic director and principal conductor of London's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra also said it was severing ties with Dutoit . He has been a regular conductor there since 1981.

___

2:20 p.m.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra says it is cutting ties with guest conductor Charles Dutoit, citing "extremely troubling" sexual misconduct allegations in a story by The Associated Press.

In a statement Thursday, the orchestra said it will end its relationship with Dutoit, who had been a guest conductor since 1981.

The statement came in response to an AP story earlier in the day in which three opera singers and one classical musician accused Dutoit of sexual assault and provided detailed accounts of alleged incidents between 1985 and 2010 in five U.S. cities.

Dutoit, who has not responded to multiple requests for comment, is artistic director and principal conductor of London's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

He has led orchestras in Philadelphia, Paris, Montreal and Tokyo and traveled widely as a guest conductor.

___

7:20 a.m.

Three opera singers and a classical musician say that world-renowned conductor Charles Dutoit sexually assaulted them on the sidelines of rehearsals and performances in five U.S. cities.

The women told The Associated Press that Dutoit physically restrained them, sometimes thrust his tongue into their mouths, and in one case stuck one of their hands down his pants.

The four women say the incidents occurred between 1985 and 2010 in Chicago, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Saratoga Springs, New York.

The 81-year-old Dutoit did not respond to multiple attempts seeking comment.

Dutoit is artistic director and principal conductor of London's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. He has led orchestras in Philadelphia, Paris, Montreal and Tokyo and traveled widely as a guest conductor. He is scheduled to conduct the New York Philharmonic next month.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()